Welcome! We serve the parish of Scarning, which comprises the old village around the church of St Peter and St Paul, several outlying hamlets and a large, modern estate on the Dereham boundary.
As a Team Ministry, we also serve Scarning VC Primary School, which is situated between the two parts of the parish. The school is thriving and has been developed over the last few years to accommodate 300+ children.
Doctor Augustus Jessopp, Chaplain to King Edward VII, was Rector of Scarning from 1879 – 1911. He wrote several books about his life and times and recorded that in his day “Scarning comprised a few significant properties and about 50 hovels”. Things have changed!
We have a large, active team of bellringers.
The church is noted for its fine acoustic and pleasant organ – which makes hymn singing a particularly rewarding experience! Please come along – we would be delighted to meet you.
For service times and upcoming events, please see the homepage.
Find us at Dereham Road, Scarning. Parking is available in the lay-by immediately to the West of the church.
Please contact Churchwardens:Tim Farnham 07831 106 246 or Sue (01362 694886).
About the church building
The church has occupied its prominent position in the centre of Scarning since the 12th century. It is mainly perpendicular in style. The base of the tower is the oldest part of the building but there are fragments of masonry in the south wall from an earlier period – look for the barley sugar twists. A leaflet is available in church giving more details of the building – highlights include:
- A 'ring' of six bells which are unusual in that they are believed to have been cast on site by an itinerant bell founder, although it has been suggested that 5 ofn the bells were cast by Charles Newman, a local founder, at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. A set of 5 bells by Charles Newman is rare and they are listed as being historic significance. 4 of the bells are thought to have been cast at Blakeney and the Tenor at Horstead. The treble was cast by Gillett and Johnston in Croydon in 1931.
- A vestry which used to have two storeys – the curate residing in the upper storey
- Windows in the chancel which contain stained glass from the 14th century
- A fine rood screen believed to date from the early 15th century. The lower panels still have their original paintwork
- The 13th century font with its ornate Jacobean cover which can be raised and lowered by a system of counter weights
- A fine replica in wood of the Pelican Lectern in Norwich Cathedral
- A splendid altar frontal which was made as a project to mark the millennium
- The magnificent east window with glowing, jewel-like colours. It depicts the two patron saints standing either side of Jesus. The window was installed in 1870 as a memorial to Phillip du Val Aufrere and his wife. It was fully restored in 2005/06 and is simply glorious.